Love prevails..

I am, unambiguously, in love with the study and understanding of law.
It is such an exquisite field.
.
Like a yummy bowl of laksa, oh-makes-my-mouth-water,
I eat it, and I am satisfied;
but I will want more.
..
What is law?
(Cheesy over-used question I know)


What to do and what not to do?
How will you be punished if you do what you are not supposed to?
A set of rules written in books?
Our constitution?


Law has always been hard to define, and will continue to be so.


It is so many things in one.
The diversity of it is what makes it so ravishing.

How is law and morality interconnected?
Does law need to be based on the orthodox understanding of what is acceptable in the society?


In my law studies;
I learned about the common law tradition, structure of the courts, the interpretation of statutes, the constitution, the separation of powers. (Huh???)

And there are Criminal Law, Tort Law, Land Law, Law of Trusts and Family Law, amongst the many many others. (Huh???)


Law of Tort is one of my best-loved subjects of all time.
It is hard to define this area of law so let me just give you an example.


Consider this;

A two-year-old boy suffered from respiratory failure while in hospital.
The doctor had failed to intubate him and as a result, he suffered brain damage.

(Yes the above is true. It happened in the UK in 1997)

1) Can the patient sue? Does he sue the doctor? Or the hospital?

2) Does it makes a different if the doctor is a junior inexperienced doctor?

3) What if the doctor says that he had already done his best? Is this enough to exclude him from liability?

4) Are the opinions of other doctors relevant in relation to this?

5) Who is to judge the opinions of the other doctors? The judge?



You see.
That is when lawyers come in ;)
That is why we go to law school. Hehe.


It is very interesting, eh?
It is not all that dry or boring.
(Although yes, sometimes it is!! Argh! )

But, just like how life as an intern in the hospital is nowhere as steamy and dreamy as how Grey’s Anatomy portays it to be, law is not as glamorous as it is in Boston Legal.


But then, what do I know.
I just halfway through my law degree.


I am not ashamed to admit this. I am struggling with it sometimes.

There are cases after cases to memorise.
Principles after principles to understand.

It is hell.
Especially when it is near examinations.
Yes, that period of time when your stress level is higher than Malaysia’s petrol price and inflation rate.


But then again, I took up law at the first place because I was looking for challenges.

Something that pushes me to the utmost.

Something that stimulates my naughty little big brain who has strong urges to wander away to the Shopping-Land, Mamak-Land, Internet-Land and heck, every single play-related land on Earth.


I asked for mental stimulations and big bold challenges.

And wtf, I am so getting them.
I am getting them all.


I deplore them.
But I also cherish them.
It is like a love-hate relationship.

But thank goodness, I love them more than I hate them.


Love prevails!! Yay!



P.S: Results will be out soon. OMGGGGG.
And Chong Wei proceeds to the semifinals!
.

No comments: